Sunday 4 July 2010

The Hunt for the Perfect Flag Pole

Being the 4th July it seemed like the perfect day to find the perfect flag pole for my American Flag. I have had a piece of fabric with the US flag on it for a number of years knowing that one day I would have THE perfect use for it. This week that 'use' became blindingly clear. I have signed up with Judith for the Town Square Shops. This is a series of 12 American shops in 48th scale designed by Debbie Young, they come one a month, or in my case one every other month! Before signing up my first consideration was where would I put them. I decided that a shelf was the best option - maybe even landscaped at a later date. Then I found the best shelf for the job and my wonderful husband hung it on the wall for me - so then it just needed a flag, and you can't have a flag without a flag pole! Being me it could just be a piece of dowel it needed to be 'just the right stick' ! So the hunt was on........

We are very lucky that we live so close to such gorgeous countryside and knew just the right spot of woodland to find Holy Grail of sticks.


It was by no means an easy task, we had to brave all sorts of hazards and obstacles...

killer ants......


bridges that quite clearly had trolls living underneath...

rocky rivers to cross....

sunken steps.....

rooty paths......

and we had to search through deep undergrowth......


...then there it was lying in wait knowing its destiny from the minute it fell from the tree!


So it was straight home to edge the flag...


and attach it to the stick - (with lovely ribbon and cute buttons of course!).







Finally to place it on the shelf where it now sits waiting for the miniatures to arrive!



Happy 4th of July everyone!


There are no fireworks I am afraid but there is something far better! My honeysuckle has flowered unexpectedly for the first time ever and here it is.


No comments: