Thursday 26 March 2009

Collaging over the Backgrounds

Today I have done two collages on a couple of the backgrounds that I painted on Sunday. Lennas instructions were very clear and easy to follow. If you click on the images you can see them in very close up detail.

Collage 1:

The first one I did on the baking powder background. The hardest thing was to accept that the background was just that 'a background' and that covering most of it up didn't matter! The main colour in the background seemed to be a shade of pink - not a colour I would naturally be drawn to. But it put me in mind of roses and therefore of course - an English Rose!!! So I then thought what would be the essence of an English Rose and the following collage images seemed to fit the theme. The garden chair was stamped directly onto the canvas - part of it didn't take properly and then I remembered that Lenna said to stamp onto tissue and collage it on is case it went wrong!!! Hmmm time for a recovery. I remembered that in a previous class Lenna had taught me to cover up stamp mistakes with adding the extra with pen - so out came the permanent marker and I touched it up a bit and all was well again! Having learnt my lesson I stamped the iron railings image that I wanted to put over the lady and roses onto tissue paper 1st and layered that on. The roses image and the wonderful window image are both from Paper Whimsy, the lady and the bottles are from ArtChix both of which are in my links list. The word 'Inspire' in the top right hand corner is a rub on that I added to tissue paper before layering it over the background this is from Rhonna Farrers' collection. the leaves are by Prima and I think also came from Paper Whimsy. All in all I am really very pleased with the final result.





Collage 2 :

The second collage was done on one of the cling film backgrounds - although so much of it got covered up that you wouldn't know it!! This one was in colours that are within my usual spectrum and I felt more comfortable with this. The first thing I did was add some old text to the bottom left hand side and an image of blue sky to the top left hand side. Both of these are now hardly visible but somehow still seem to add a bit of depth so were worth adding. I then added the door image (Paper Whimsy). I love doors and use them quite a lot - yet another of Lennas influences - the first course that I did with Lenna was 'Open the Door Journal'! The words in the bottom right corner say 'Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself' this is another rub on from Rhonna Farrer. I added this to tissue paper which I then added to the background using Gel Medium. The Raven in the top left is one of my favourite stamps from Alphastamps but it was facing the wrong way so I stamped it onto tissue paper and added it to the collage face down so that it was looking the way I wanted it to. I then added various stamps and collage items. I decided that it all needed to be brought together in some way and sponged around everything with Stewart Gill paints - they have a lovely shimmer that doesn't show up so well in the photo. I finished off with some buttons and leaves.





I now have to decide what to do with the other backgrounds!!!!

No comments: